Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Promise Land

So lately I have been reading through Joshua (when I don’t know what to read I randomly open the Bible and whatever book it opens to I read). I am still at the beginning, the entering of The Promise Land, Jericho, the sin of Achan etc. I have to admit, I was getting a little self righteous reading through this. The book of Joshua is made possible by the ancestors of the Israelites (their parents and grandparents were supposed to enter the Promise Land but because of their lack of faith they were denied the access so their children, the ones in the book of Joshua, and now entering the Promise Land). I was thinking about how their parents and grandparents lacked faith and I thought about how ridiculous that was. How could you loose faith when you have a cloud guiding you by day and fire guiding you by night, you walked across a sea and watched the water cave on your enemies at just the right time, you are following a “box” that holds God and if you touch you die and you are following a man that has actual audible conversations with God?! Then you read in Joshua that even after their parents, the crossing the Jordan and the fall of Jericho Achan looses faith and steals. They had such a physical relationship with God and yet they lost their faith. I was jealous and thought how much better a follower I would have been and how lucky they were to have all these things. Then I thought about the Disciples and Judas and how he had the Son of God with him and still turned him in for money. And how Peter turned his back on Jesus when he was arrested. How can they do that when they have spent their lives with this man? But then I realized that I do that daily. I have Him with me every day every moment of my life, but there are times that I turn my back and pretend that he isn’t who he says he is or that he isn’t worth it. And I realized that I have no reason to be jealous because he is closer to me know than he was in the Bible. I don’t remember the passage but it talks about how the people in the Bible can’t wait to talk to us about having the Spirit of God living within us. All the people in the Bible that we say we wish we could talk to, can’t wait to talk to us!

No comments: