Sunday, January 25, 2009

Burn Out

So I have spent the last four years of my life studying. And the past two years deeply studying. I never minded it when I was at school. I loved it. It was at many times my favorite part of college. My favorite part of studying is looking at Scripture from the perspective of the original reader. How the tiniest thing, that we skip over, meant so much to them. I loved the symbolism of Jesus' actions and words. I love how Jesus took things from their culture and their life and made them something more, something bigger. When I graduated, it abruptly stopped. Sadly, it was almost a relief. As much as I loved to study, it was still a burden due to the grades that came along with it. I didn't want to pick up a book or a commentary for a long time. I was burnt out and I didn't realize it till I was away from it. I even started to think that I didn't like reading anymore. (I didn't stop believing in God, or question my faith. I just thought that believeing was good enough for me and I spent four years studying and I did my time) So after six months of not picking up a book I started a new kind of book. A book that was for fun. I started reading the Twilight series (No, this post isn't about how amazing the books are or how Edward Cullen is perfect). All the sudden I enjoyed reading again. Now that I read all four books, I decided to try reading a book that was still fun, but not a fictional story. I started reading "Starving Jesus." I love reading it again. I feel like I am enjoying studying again, and it isn't for a grade, it is for fun. So don't knock Twilight or me for liking Twilight, it made me enjoy reading and enjoy studying once again.

1 comment:

Remedy For This Heart said...

I have gone through those seasons where that has been the case for me. I am so pumped to see what God is going to do with this season of study and hunger for the word.